September 3, 2009
With the imminent return of the internationally-acclaimed Bodyworlds exhibit coming up in mere weeks at the Ontario Science Centre in Toronto, the OSC has begun preparations for the museum space and surroundings…
one of which will be a new gallery exhibition, entitled ‘ANATOMIA: An Exhibition Exploring the Art and Science of Anatomy.’
This new gallery show will augment the entrance to the Bodyworlds pavillion, and aims to showcase prominent anatomy-based visual artworks from talented student and alumni artists recently emerging from Sheridan College, U of T and the Ontario College of Art & Design (OCAD). I am proud to write that both my work and I will be included in this installment, featuring my ‘Anatomy of the Head and Neck’ illustration (see below!).
In addition to my submission, I have also volunteered my time to help create a visual identity for the exhibition, based on a project brief supplied by the curator in charge. Essentially, the logo itself should combine both ancient traditional influence and modern sciences – translated through old Greek letterforms, contrasted by the modern english alphabet – to create a unique treatment that accommodates the museum, the exhibit and the art itself. Thus, the challenge is to effectively combine these two worlds, and produce a recognizable and legible logo for the word ‘Anatomia.’
My first step was to research exactly what the word looked like in various typefaces and positions, and to consider how they might interact; ultimately, I decided that a combination of both ancient Greek letterforms and modern English letters would probably work best, perhaps with a minor graphic element to offset the word and make it interesting…
Look for the exhibit, the artwork, this logo + poster (and say hi to me) at the Ontario Science Centre later this month when you come to see the return of Bodyworlds!
April 2, 2009
During the last few weeks I’ve been rediscovering the loverly and meticulous world of CSS, XHTML, HTML and website construction in general, working to revise my own website. Since constructing the original last year, I have decided that the layout, colour scheme, graphic identity and page orientation no longer conveys exactly what I want, how I’d like to be received or exactly what I do (process and interpretive work?! why did i include these!?!).
As such, I have been working to redesign it based on a text-heavy layout vs. picture or flash: like many digital artists and webmasters, I’ve realised the unavoidable truth about website traffic: TEXT GETS MORE HITS. As many visitors browse sites based on keyword searches via engines such as google or yahoo, it only makes sense that the more active and available text keywords present on your site, the more hits your site will receive, as the site robots only understand text (and not images). This is probably the single most serious problem with flash and image-based website design, and a huge part of my decision to revise. I expect it will be some time before I complete and upload the new design, as I have been rather busy lately, but here are some previews…
March 31, 2009
This week marks the launch of my Spring Promo Campaign for 2009; yesterday was spent composing various compilations for representation and exposure across the continent. I had hoped to have my new website layout completed and functioning before April; unfortunately, it will now be pushed back, hopefully uploaded within the next week or two (depending on workload). In the meantime, here are some of the promo image compilations for your visual enjoyment. Click on any one of them to access categorically selected works from my portfolio website.
March 28, 2009
Just a quick update on the logo/identity design narcissism, seeing as how it’s now used in the re-imagined banner (and the soon-to-be-completed new website!). Some of the adjustments in these variations are pretty subtle, but all were necessary….
(these next few focus on website text placement)and the final:
Now it’s time to get back into the loverly world of HTML and CSS coding + coffee. Divtags and spry menus for all!
March 6, 2009
It’s been way too long since I’ve updated this blog — as I mentioned the last time I posted, I’ve been considerably busy these last few months with international gallery shows (such as the 2009 Detroit Dirty Show), commissioned works, website revision and rebuilding (COMING SOON!), finishing a course and a few other very interesting developments. I’ve recently branched off into fine art, meaning that the new site will likely include a section devoted specifically to that genre as I continue to diversify and explore new facets.
In the meantime, after a very productive conversation with an influential individual, I’ve been inspired to research a few designers and mess around with some of my own identity design. After a night of arbitrary exploration, here are some images of the process work for your viewing pleasure….
The design eventually worked itself into a tangent with the ‘d,’ and I obviously had some debate over which style works best; not just for 2d webdesign, but also for stationary and business card design, etc.
I also came to realize the diverse applications of having a manipulatable variable in the ‘.’ which, if needed, could easily become definitive for various things, such as different fields of illustration, design or other categories…
such as print…
as well as some placeholder manipulation, like a tangible hole in a business card or piece of stationary…
Clearly, this is something I’ll have to play with some more and refine before I include it in my professional correspondence, but I like the direction it has taken me thus far. Comments are welcome!